Fun fact that I learned this week -Nutella is apparently a hot commodity in the college dorms. I brought these Salted Nutella Caramel Sugar Cookies into work and so I was informed by one of the students working in our office. Nutella and a loaf of bread. I asked, “so do you ever just eat it outta the jar with a spoon” and I really thought I was going to get a “yes” in return. If one likes Nutella, I just assumed one likes to eat Nutella plain…directly from the jar. Orrrr maybe that is just my household…anyone else out there do this? Regardless of your answer, if you like Nutella and you like caramel you will probably be a pretty big fan of these cookies. I think sea salt takes caramel to a whole other level -when I saw that Hershey’s had baking chips that were caramel AND sea salt I did a little happy dance in the store aisle. Homeward bound I headed to throw these chips into some type of cookie that involved a Nutella ganache. Cookie Ingredients:
- 1.5 sticks softened salted butter
- 8 ounces neufchatel cheese
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1 bag Hershey’s Sea Salt Caramel Baking Chips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Cream the butter until smooth using a standing mixer.
- Add the neufchatel cheese to the butter and mix into a smooth consistency.
- Mix in sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla until smooth.
- Slowly add flour a little bit at a time into mixture and continue mixing.
- Add salt and mix.
- Add baking chip and mix.
- At this point, the dough needs to be formed into a ball. Dough will be very sticky, but with a little work along with some messy hands you can form it as shown below.
- Once formed into a ball, wrap into plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator.
- Let dough refrigerate over night.
- Once dough has been chilled, remove from the plastic wrapping and roll into small balls.
- Pre-heat and bake in oven at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. (Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, I use Olive Oil).
- Pull out of oven and use a spatula to flatten the cookies out just a little bit.
- Place back in oven for another 2-4 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on a cooling rack.
Nutella Ganache Ingredients
- 1 heaping spoonful of Nutella
- 1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Nutella Ganache Directions:
- Pour chocolate chips into a microwavable bowl.
- Heat the chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir rapidly until all chips begin to melt into a smooth mixture.
- Spoon Nutella into mixture and microwave for another 45 seconds but do so in 15 second increments, stirring in between each 15 seconds.
. Then, if you can contain yourself from eating the Nutella Ganache by the spoonful, you can go ahead and spoon the ganache on top of the cookies. Use the back of the spoon to create a smooth dollop -these babies are then ready to serve!
Oh yeah – sprinkle with some Sea Salt if you desire – YUM!
Tag #sprinkledsunshinesweets if you try these out!